Saturday, March 1, 2008

What I Want To Do When I Grow Up

Two and a half years into college I finally had a moment where I know what I want to do when I grow up.

I want to be a journalist.

Of course, the original plan for college was to be a journalist, but after a little bit of consideration and seeing how hardcore the courses sounded at MTSU in the journalism department. Add to that kinda being burnt out on writing after four years of writing stories for the “teen page” of the Chattanooga Times Free Press and it was time for a change.

The other nite I submitted a piece that I’d written for the Murfreesboro Pulse to write for a record label’s website. So far, I haven’t heard anything back but it doesn’t matter. It just worked.

So alas, I’ve gone from one end of the spectrum in Communication Disorders and then back to where I started.

I don’t know where I’m going this fall or what I’m doing but I think I want to be a travel writer. I think. I want to get a degree that’s a culmination of photography, English, journalism, children’s lit., recording industry. That kind of degree doesn’t really exist. But I’m going to try and make do with it.

Going to Boston this summer with the family will be my dry run of travel writing. Unless I do so before then, even. Who knows what will come up in the future…

**
Wilco is rocking SNL. And I’m pretty much pumped for tomorrow nite’s show. It’s not everyday that you can say you are seeing the band that played Saturday Nite Live the nite after they rocked it in NYC. I’ll be sure to post a review/photos (if I can take any)/set list/etc.

No comments: