Friday, May 8, 2009

Show Review: The Tits CD Release Show

The Basement wasn't quite as full as I had expected for a Thursday nite CD release party, but the folks that were there came for the right reason: to see a rock show.

The nite started out with the Clutters, who busted out quite a few new songs. I only caught three songs, thanks to my inability to maneuver Nashville interstates, but the last three were new tracks that still had that Clutters sound. The first one that I walked in to hear was more straightforward rock and I feared that synth sound they embrace had been kicked to the curb. My fears were proven wrong by the next song being keyboard heavy. From the sounds of it, when these folks drop a new record, it's going to be another great one.

Howlies were next up, my immediate attention drawn to drummer/vocalist Aaron and the sling on his arm. He quickly tore off the sling and a few songs into the set it was revealed that he had a broken collarbone, as he praised the name of strong painkillers. Of course you couldn't even tell there was anything wrong with him and the show was just as strong as ever. Those boys always bring it and the most I can say is that I highly suggest everyone see them play live or atleast pick up their record.

The headliners, the Tits, finally hit the stage and it was obvious much of the crowd had been waiting for them to go on. Folks that I'd never had expected to see at a punk show were singing along to every word as the band played straight through their record; at one point, the band had someone from the audience grab one of the cds they were still giving away for free so they would know what song to play next. After playing through the record the band busted out a few covers (MC5, Stooges, etc.), played a new song and had half the crowd come on stage with them for the last two songs.

Overall, I was quite impressed with the band and the show that they put on. I'm even two listens in to their album, "Jesus Says Relax" and I'm going to need a few more listens before I am ready to move onto something else besides this 20 minutes of music. I might get some people hating on me for saying this, but this band will be some of the biggest competition for Infinity Cat bands likes Meemaw or JEFF the Brotherhood.

Watch out Nashville, you have been warned.

No comments: